Saturday 6 September 2014

Feeling Good - Life's only pursuit?

Teacher's Day is such a "Feel Good Day". And I'm not saying that it is anything wrong, it is perfectly alright for humans to want to feel good. Mucked around with some stuff over hedonism in philosophy class recently (yes I am an Uncle who still goes to class), and at the very end I feel I kinda buy it though we pretty much destroyed Roger Crisp at the end of the lesson.

First argument, pleasure is good. No issues? Ok, second argument, pleasure is desirable, and everyone pursues it. Probably no issues too? So hedonism draws the difference at seeing pleasure as life's only pursuit; and this is where all the other philosophers go bonkers. Personal thoughts - I cannot say I wholly agree, but if someone points a gun at my head and ask me to make a decision, then yes, I believe in hedonism. Fearing death, the pain of not being able to feel pleasure any more, I argue, is a good proof that hedonism may be right.

Haydn and the Oyster question: Do you want to live 77 year's of Haydn's life or live the immortal life of an Oyster. Haydn's life is just Haydn's life, and the Oyster feels small doses of pleasure until eternity. Well isn't the answer obvious, of course it is Haydn you want to be right... BUT! THERE IS A DAMNED PROBLEM WITH HOW THIS QUESTION WAS PHRASED. You are a Human Being choosing you want to be reincarnated into a human or an oyster. Why would you want to be rebirth into a lesser being? If you are a human soul trapped in an oyster, or a man floating eternally in a tub if you may, will you feel happy? Will you feel good? Will it be pleasurable? Crisp argues it is the nobility of Haydn's life that makes it more pleasurable; I think nobility is not an add on, but the lack of that feeling of nobility will eradicate any form of pleasure that you may experience after.

Anyway I am not a fan of the phrase "pleasure". I'd rather say it is "feeling good". Feeling good sounds simpler to understand and it more accurately describes what this hedonist is trying to express. I need some time to think about Nozick's idea of accomplishment and the "realness" in a life, but essentially, I believe that accomplishment in itself is something we seek to feel good. When your students buy you gifts, sends you cards on teacher's day to thank you for your work and inspiration, doesn't it feel good to know you might have changed someone's life? Or if you are just in for the chocolates, doesn't it feel good to get lots of free candies? =D


No comments:

Post a Comment