Sunday 7 September 2014

On Couplehood

If this blogging thing ever takes off I'd probably write A LOT on couplehood. Not relationship, stead, attachment - relationship you can have it with your family, stead is just dumb, and attachment sounds like internship - singlehood, couplehood. That's the best way to describe it.

Sometimes I'm not sure whether I'm just being sourgrapes discussing the topic of couplehood, since a good 99% of my own life has been spent in singlehood. The many theories I derive about couplehood from what I hear, read, and (mostly) imagine, do they even make sense? How can you ever hope to understand an experience you have never experienced before. Oh ok I had that short-lived one when I was 17 but that doesn't really count since it was so damned short.

The question I want to ask myself today is, what rights do we have to discuss about issues that we have not properly experienced? What gives us the authority? Perhaps it requires one to imagine, but at the same time we must be able to reason out and ensure the imagination make sense. For instance, if I say I am not prepared for couplehood because I do not have a stable job yet, and I perceive couplehood to cost me more as compared to now, that is agreeable because nobody is going to deny maintaining a couple relationship costs time, effort and money.

If I go on any further this whole passage is going to be in a greater mess than my room, so I'm just going to pin down a few questions here for myself to answer in the future:

1. When I say I wish to live a life of celibacy, do I really understand what that life constitutes? Am I simply saying out of desperation because of the state I am in now? What exactly do I want out of life especially concerning the question of love and marriage (having kids and so on)?

2. When I think about couplehood, do I enter the topic with a preconceived biasness against the idea? Whenever I make up a new theory to deny couplehood of having more merit than a singlehood life, is it just to pacify myself, again, due to the state I am in now?

3. Do you think people fall in love out of logical free will?

And maybe I will write a post about one of my favourite arguments against couplehood next time - on why we should not go and complicate the life of another before we are settled with ourselves. But then it posts another question, when do we know are we ready for couplehood?!

No comments:

Post a Comment