Sunday 14 September 2014

Just another list of things I want to write about

I have convinced myself I must try to write a bit from time to time here so that I dun spend too much time thinking about academic stuff, which is not THAT bad, but still pretty unhealthy if all the writing one does is for work. In fact, very simple discussions that occur daily amongst friends are the very things that inspire most if not all the blogposts on this blog. And almost every single time, my first thought after every discussion/ argument is done is that I have to get this written down somewhere, but I am afraid we start to give ourselves reasons as to why we do not have time to do recreational writing. Eventually I will get too busy and disappear from here, and me now will be very disappointed with me then. Anyway, this is just a post to keep track of all the questions I have asked myself so far, and a few more that were too sparked by casual conversations.

1. The Ditto Problem. - The new argument for hedonism seems to be developing in how we think about Ditto, a virtual character in the Pokemon series that spends its day having sex with other creatures of the game until the player gets sick of the game. This seem to add together the oyster and experience machine experiments together. Perhaps I can write a full post on this.

2. When is my mind, mine? - I realised the question of the year: When is my mind, mine? has not been explored on this blog before and I really should write about it. Of course after we finish the Vietnam history essay, we must, because that is of higher priority. Or is it not?

3. Time to whip some puppies. - I really thought I would have something more interesting to write after today's philosophy class, but it turned out to be me talking to myself like a madman in class today. Next week I will be purposely arguing for eating meat and torturing puppies in hope the class reacts and rebut my obviously skewed morals, at least in this society. Will collate some of the replies from there and add them here. Anyway, I'm making two main rebuttal towards Norcorss:  Firstly, I argue his view of morals is highly ethnocentric, expecting all to behave like how he perceives of moral beings. Eating dogs and cats is fine in where I was born, so how does he argue that? The morals of all my people are wrong? That just proves how ethnocentric he is. Secondly, he is in full denial of sadistic pleasure. He doesn't even address it, and is a sadistic person not necessary a moral person? What if he is a great philanthropist that has some form of ant burning tendency? Is there such thing as a scale for net moral to determine whether a person is moral or not? And to return to the first point, by whose standards?

4. Living life like your parents always wanted... - When I say I wish to live a life of celibacy, do I really understand what that life constitutes? Am I simply saying out of desperation because of the state I am in now? What exactly do I want out of life especially concerning the question of love and marriage (having kids and so on)?

5. Spite or Enlightenment? On Singlehood. -When I think about couplehood, do I enter the topic with a preconceived biasness against the idea? Whenever I make up a new theory to deny couplehood of having more merit than a singlehood life, is it just to pacify myself, again, due to the state I am in now?

6. Mashup Time! Free will VS Love. - Do you think people fall in love out of logical free will?

7. Why do I digress so much, am i not answering the question, and the problem with Cambridge General Papers.

8. Dealing with oneself before entering couplehood. - Essentially the core to my belief on why even if given a chance (such a chance is low), I should not be getting a partner at this moment in life. The gist of it is: If you can't even handle yourself, why go complicate another's life.

9. Let's talk about dark secrets. - Not a discussion about my sins, but sins in general. The problem with sinning, concealing sin, and of cause the greatest problem of all - digging up the sins of another. Will begin discussing the problem of using the word sin, denounce it to describe all form of dark secrets that may be perceived by society to be morally wrong, then express my own feelings on why we should not be trying to find out everything about people regardless how close they are to you. Kind of a self-justifying piece I acknowledge as I have a lot of things I do not want others to find out about, but I also believe as long as you live by it, you have the right to preach it.

10. Ethos of a Historian + Why I hate journalism. - Actually an academic essay I am working on now, will post the original with some after thoughts once I am done with it. Maybe I'll even compile and call the whole set of essay the "Seeking Truth" series. Why do I feel a need to organise my different random musings I wonder?

I have this strange feeling I will stop writing very soon after now because this is usually how long my "new blogs" last. Not bothered at all to be honest but will surely enjoy writing more actually. That said, I wish to return with new answers, new thoughts about the issues raised, and not force myself into a schedule to write for the sake of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment