Saturday 6 September 2014

Reasoning Procrastination

Why do we procrastinate when there are things to be done? Are we constantly tired, or lazy, or unreasonable? It seems for a start, procrastination is without reason or logic. We know what should be done, must be done, but we refuse to do it without any proper reason. I'm no psychologist, but if it is so that chemicals in our brain are causing us to be lazy when we aren't supposed to, and we are unable to resist that, does that not show that we not always have free will?

The conclusion I have drawn here is that we do not constantly have logical free will. Of course by saying this I am assuming free will is logical, which is an argument for another day because really I am just assuming and I have no concrete defence for that statement. But perhaps we all can agree that we all sometimes do things on random? There are gaps between one's intention and later actions that do not match up? If they are unexplainable by psychologists then these actions are random; and if they can be, then it means we do not have control over them - uncontrollable by logic and reason, again random. Maybe I need to engage a lawyer on this but, how does the court deal with random actions? Oh right the tens of thousands of false psychological reports we see in dramas.

In the end, I will argue for two things. Firstly, one has to admit we are not in control all the time and therefore not morally responsible for some actions. Secondly, thought in itself is not always logical. Faith, for instance, seems to be an exception as argued by many - and I believe today's musings will help me understand (the un-understandable) faith one day.

Also I need to one day reason out why I like to digress and draw far-fetched conclusions so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment