Thursday 11 September 2014

Athiesm - Problems of being the minority

There are reasons why I write here, in a place where my face, name and profile is not available for anyone to see, because I fear how some of my thoughts may be judged by others. More importantly, how much rebuttal and hate some thoughts may attract, and how many friends I may have to un-friend on Facebook.

Here I am setting a few premises: Firstly, I am assuming people will not find me under this pseudonym, although I use it occasionally in real life. Secondly, I assume I care about the repercussions,  which I may or may not depending on the topic and person involved. Lastly, I assume friends do disagree with each other, even on very fundamental issues like religion, and other world views. Whether they do stand or not is not the concern of this piece, because this piece is targeted at looking at one of these issues that I try my best not to discuss but cannot get away from - religion.

I am an atheist. And to many believers of different faiths, especially the thinking ones, they will be able to challenge my take on religion; and I fully acknowledge the capability of some to even convert me, or at least change my perspective. But I wish the reader looks at this post from a more general point of view, and debates over my religious inclinations can be saved for another day. On that note, I have swayed from agnosticism to almost Christian to back and forth and back here again, so I'll put up a good fight if necessary but that's really not the point.

Consider if you wake up one morning and on Facebook you see two posts. One says "What a bright and lovely morning, thank God for this glorious day =)" and another says "What a bright and lovely day, it surely could not have been the work of any divine being!" On a general level, I believe most will find the second statement rather offensive. "Do you really have to say that"? Some may ask. And it is not wrong. But again, what gives being in a official religion the right to constantly rub their holy inspirations into other people's face? As atheists, we cannot practice nor speak out loud our beliefs because being an ideology that denies religion, the very practice of this ideology is considered to be offensive, religiously insensitive and "wrong" morally and socially. I say morally and socially, both human constructs just as religious tolerance/sensitiveness is. I am not saying it is a bad thing, we do have be aware people have different world views and therefore hold different beliefs, and though we may not comprehend some and even express displeasure towards them in private at times, at least in the public space we should avoid being such assholes by purposefully turning situations into hateful religious debate for no good reason. 

That being said, is this relationship and respect mutual? I do not think so at all. Regardless of whether it is an acceptance or denial of theism, both are ideologies that have their own history, their own supporters and sympathisers willing to defend their ideology to no end. Surely one camp thinks the other as wrong and themselves as right, but as an atheist myself I have backed down as far as I can so to preserve the harmony brought about through religious and cultural sensitiveness. But what have I gotten in return? Statuses after statuses on Facebook and people thanking God for every little thing, which makes no sense at all when looked from thr perspective of my world view? Though not as explicit and offensive superficially, aren't such words of praise and glorification to theism and the divine too, in denial of anti-theism, and therefore rude in the same way as I would say to them "it is that law of nature that has governed how each day would be instead of the deity you worship which I can neither see with my naked nor spiritual eyes"? Flip the two subjects in the previous question-sentence around, is there really a difference?

A final example, if on the two Facebook posts, an atheist and a theist commented respectively "Hey please be respectful and religiously sensitive", which one would be treated seriously and which one seen as a joke, or even an act of religious insensitivity?

The conclusion I draw here if we rule strictly (I will not claim objectivity) on this issue, mutual and meaningful religious sensitiveness requires that no religious topics should be spoken of in public at all, unless under special circumstances such a debate, where the topic in itself is requested and therefore engaged. To proclaim the existence of one God, and to praise said God, although not explicit also claims the non-existence of other divinities and in my case, proclaim my ideology of the non-existence of a God as non-truth. It matters not what is right or wrong in this case, and it matters little which side you are on; if it is a state of religious sensitiveness that we pursue, every time you call on your God, it is rude towards this minority group called atheists, and therefore please stop it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment